Sunday, April 29, 2012

Yummy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

Today we are baking in the Green House on the Hill.  I had a hankering for oatmeal cookies the other day, so I set out on a quest to find a really yummy recipe.  I pulled out 5 or 10 cookbooks from my collection and scoured them for a bit.  I thought that Martha Stewart would have the perfect answer, but sadly her recipe results in a lacey cookie.  While that might look pretty, it just wasn't the direction I was headed in.  I was looking for a nice meaty cookie.  Something that I could sink my teeth into.  So I perused the Food TV site.  Surely Paula Deen must have a really great cookie, right?  But again, disappointment.  Finally, I headed to my favorite source of recipe info, allrecipes.com.  I love this site because you can see real photos of food (not the one's the food stylists would like to make me believe that I can create).  On top of that, there are always a ton of reviews with suggestions on how to modify or improve the recipe.  I read through a few and I settled on Clementine's Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies.  I've linked you back to the original source of the recipe, Ghiradelli's Chocolate Company.  Here is my version.



I used Old Fashioned Oats, as opposed to the quick cook variety, although I think either would be fine.  Unsalted butter is generally all I keep on hand, so that is what I used.  I happened to have a bag of Ghiradelli Semi Sweet Chocolate chips, so they went into the mix too.  The batter was a bit drier then most cookie batters, but perhaps that was due to the 3 choices of light brown sugar that I had on hand; rock hard, sort of hard and just a bit dry.  I used the least hard of the three, but I did pick up a bag of nice, fresh light brown sugar from the grocery store on my next visit. 

Now for the really important part .... the reviews from the family.  They all gave them a resounding 5 thumbs up (no they don't each have 5 thumbs, instead all five of us gave them one thumb up).

So dig out that mixer and get baking!  Thanks for stopping into the Green House on the Hill today.

4 comments:

  1. These look delish! I'm with you---I like a meaty oatmeal cookie, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooooh yummy wish they where in my tummy,lol!!
    Stopped on by from ck and now i am hungry....deeeelish!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look so good...I'm thinking I need a road trip to PA! I have a cabinet full of baking supplies and no motivation to bake!

    ReplyDelete